13 September 2010

Mayhem at it's Finest

Second annual FNO
I had great expectations for this event. My creative nature and imagination had me excited for this event. I heard stories of the first annual event, and assumed FNO 2010 would be comparable. I told people about this event. These people attended this event with me (my sisters). My sister told people about this event (her friends), they also attended this event. So I traveled with four other people through the streets of Soho.


Friday September 10, 2010 was a chilly day, which limited my attire options for Fashion's Night out in Manhattan. If the coordinators of this event had any consideration for the weather, they would have scheduled it during the warm summer months, not in early September when the temperature begins to drop. But that's besides the point. As you can see in the above photo I opted to wear a green H&M blouse paired with beige H&M harem pants, a red Etienne Aigner bag, & black Steve Madden wedges.


I had this preconceived notion that all the women who would be at fashion's night out would be dressed in heels. I wanted to be coexist with "them", so I threw on my most comfortable heels. Truth be told, my imagination got the best of me, and upon arriving at the Teen Vogue block party, I realized that I was apart of a minority. Not because of my skin color, but because I was wearing heels.

The ASOS volunteers gave out delicious cake lollipops, Fiji water, Arizona green teas in PINK bottles, and gift bags. There was a DIY station to decorate the bags with studs, glitter, spray paint, and other lovely things, but there were too many people interested in decorating their bags and not enough room. 
Before the runway show even began, my company and I left the scene and made our way down the block to Marc Jacobs, where we got a free T-shirt.Because the Teen vogue block party was all the way on Perry street, we had to walk about twenty blocks to Soho; where the madness was happening.

Prior to leaving my house I knew that I wanted to take pictures with Andre Leon Talley, and Janelle Monae; they were at the Polo store on West Broadway. I didn't get my desired picture, because by the time we got there the crowd of people was just too overwhelming.I'm sure if we didn't have to walk twenty blocks and stop at Steve Madden, I would have gotten my picture. Ehh such is life though, not everything happens the way you plan it. After realizing that we weren't getting into Polo, we attempted to get into the Billionaire Boys Club. We heard that Kanye was going to be there so i wanted to see for myself. I never made it in there either, the security was tight, and it was much similar to the scene outside of Polo. We later found out that only Pharrel and N.E.R.D were inside the store. Chris Brown performed outside the store minutes before we arrived, and was allegedly bood by the crowd.

It was about 10:45 p.m and we decided to give up our hopes of meeting celebrities.
Right when we were about to walk down to the subway, there was a riot in the street. There was bumper to bumper traffic and pedestrians filled the streets trying to make their way from one side of the street to the other. But for some reason this turned into people jumping on cars, nobody able to move in the street, police being called,
 <----- Victoria Henriquez running into the street to join the bullshit, three guys refusing the get up from a stagnant cab, people dancing on stagnant cars, Ines Henriquez panicking, and a lot of laughter from yours truly. It was something that you had to see to believe.
It was ignorance and mayhem at its finest!

The End 

No comments:

Post a Comment